My little brother has been asking me to make him a “healthier” dessert for the longest time so that he can eat it without breaking his diet! Well, pie should count, right?
Ingredients for the crust:
- 1 cup of flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 stick of frozen butter
- cold water
Ingredients for the wash:
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon of half and half
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 cup of blueberries
- 3/4 tablespoon of flour
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of room temperature butter
- Squirt of lime
1. Preheat the oven to 375*
2. Mix all dry ingredients for pie crust in a bowl and then cut up frozen butter into small chunks
3. Beat ingredients on medium speed until combined and butter is broken into smaller chunks
4. Add cold water slowly while blending until it reaches a dough consistency.
5. Spread flour on your work surface and roll out dough.
6. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and cut dough to appropriate shape. I used these cookie cutters:
7. Combine egg yolk and half and half and lightly coat the dough. Sprinkle with sugar.
Time to prepare the filling!
1. Put all the ingredients in a bowl.
Now that was easy, wasn’t it?
And the final steps:
1. Fill the crust with the blueberries.
2. Create a top crust (optional!)
3. Bake for 23-7 minutes until crust is golden.
And that is all! Of course, in order to keep this recipe “healthy” the best way to eat is with two scoops of vanilla ice cream, right? I mean it’s okay since there are blueberries in there and everything. =)
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Have a great day and don’t forget – always leave room for dessert.
Simply Me, Jennifer Le